topic brainstorm

One of the possible topics I am interested in is Greek mythology. I've read a few stories of Greek mythology, but I'm not too knowledgeable about them. I'm not sure if I want to write more about Greek gods or goddesses, but I'm leaning more towards the latter. There are many myths that could retold in different ways, which I think is awesome. Also, there's many gods and goddesses, so any story could be written about any of them. One of the goddesses I wanted to learn more about was Aphrodite. Another Greek goddess that I thought was interesting is Hera. I think it would be fun to turn Greek gods and/or goddesses into modernized characters. 

Another topic I am interested in is Cambodian mythologies. My parents never told me of any mythologies growing up. They were also very young when the Khmer Rouge regime was happening. So, I was curious to see what, if any, stories are out there. I also just wanted to delve more into my Cambodian culture. I wasn't able to find very many myths, but I found this myth that tells the story of how thunder and lightning came to be. There are many myths that tell the origin of thunder and lightning, but I thought this was a quirky, fun myth. In retelling this myth, I think it could be more dramatized and more details could be elaborated. 

A battle between Moni Mekhala and Ream Eyso, who represent lighting and thunder, respectively. Web Source

Urban Legends is also another topic that I am fascinated in. I loved reading books with urban legends when I was younger. I also remember watching the 1998 film Urban Legend when I was growing up and loving it even though it was scary for me. I liked watching horror and slasher films (I had older sisters and cousins that influenced me). Of course, all urban legends aren't horrifying, but I remember being a kid and talking about Bloody Mary and chanting her name in front of mirror with no lights. That terrified me! I found an article (here) on Snopes that attempts to fact check the story of Blood Mary. This could be a fun horror Storybook project. I could tell the story of "Mary" and what happened to her leading up to her ritualistic appearance in bathrooms. The urban legend can be retold in various unique ways. 

On a lighter note, I think cats would be a fun topic for a Storybook and I love cats in general. I could get creative and tell a story from the cat's point of view like this Storybook project. Several cute and light-hearted stories could be written around cats. I read a few stories related to cats in the UnTextbook, but I'm not sure what stories I like best yet. There is one short myth I found in the UnTextbook called "Why the Cat Kills Rats" and I thought that could be a fun story to elaborate on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the one where i write an introduction...

week 13 story: the revelers' search for death

comment wall