week 4 story laboratory
While there were a lot of story laboratory options, the one I was most curious about was learning about microfiction and writing it. I don't think I have read any microfiction stories, or maybe I have and I didn't know they were considered microfiction. When reading about microfiction it reminded me of Rupi Kaur's Milk and Honey, a book collection of poems and prose, but some were more than 100 words, so I guess they aren't considered microfiction. I actually like reading this style of storytelling. Even though the stories are short, they have the ability to deliver a meaningful message, reveal significance, or make you feel a certain way. I think it is impressive that 100 words or less can do that. Also, I think the significance or messages, if any, in these microfictions are different compared to what we usually read in fables and folklore.
One of the projects I looked at was called Tiny Love Stories that is posted online at The New York Times. There were different types of these stories I read through to see what they were like and maybe to find inspiration in writing a microfiction. I think I enjoyed reading these because they were more modern and artful; the stories were easily relatable and they weren't all the "falling in love" kind of love stories. There are a variety of stories that I liked and I think other people will enjoy reading, too.
Another project I looked at was the Two-Sentence Horror Stories thread on Reddit. I like horror as a genre, so of course this piqued my interest. The very short stories that I read here were mostly horrifying, but in a funny, clever way. For example, this short horror story took a surprise turn:
Another project I looked at was the Two-Sentence Horror Stories thread on Reddit. I like horror as a genre, so of course this piqued my interest. The very short stories that I read here were mostly horrifying, but in a funny, clever way. For example, this short horror story took a surprise turn:
"
Chloe looked down mid-flight and noticed the people on the ground really did look like ants.
Soon the air became too thin to breathe, but the searing pain of the winged beast’s claws digging into her shoulders kept her conscious high above the clouds."
I definitely want to try writing microfiction stories. I think it would be challenging for me because I tend to have lengthy explanations or I write too much. Sometimes it's hard for me to keep it short, but I think this project could help me with that!
![]() |
| Tiny books (Web Source) |

Comments
Post a Comment