week 12 story lab

For this story lab, I watched the TEDed videos relating to creative writing and style. 

I really resonated with the "What makes a hero?" video. A hero isn't the typical hero who has powers and saves the world or fights bad guys; a hero can be someone who is going on a journey of conquering their fear. Someone leaving their comfort zone is seen as brave, which is typical characteristic of a "hero." This other hero can be seen in movies and books that aren't of the hero-type, such as Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Superman, etc. I really liked Joseph Campbell's quote: 

"The cave you fear to enter lies the treasure you seek." 

For me, the quote is a reminder to stop holding myself back and to not be so afraid. I need to conquer my fear, especially when it comes to my future. For this class, the stories we write/recreate might have a hero in them, but it's just not the normal crime-fighting, powerful, magical conventional hero. 

Being brave and conquering fears are heroic actions. 
(Source: Pixabay)

Another video that I thought will be helpful for writing stories was "How to write descriptively." As I'm reading stories or books, I tend to imagine the characters or the scene occurring in my head, so I'd want others to do the same if they're reading my stories. I try to be descriptive in my writing, too. The video does a great job of explaining the use of descriptive language vs. non-tactile language and the effects it leaves on readers. Stories are a way for readers to immerse themselves in a whole other world. I think stories allows readers to sort of have their own experiences or their ideas; with descriptive writing, one reader might've imagined something different than another reader. The video also kind of mentions that, too. I will remember to try to engage the five senses in my stories.

I also didn't know that zombie nouns, or nominalization, were even a thing when I watched the video, "Beware of nominalizations." This video will make me more aware of my writing and ensuring that my stories are descriptive and have life. After watching this video, I do recognize that nominalization is prominent in academic writing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the one where i write an introduction...

week 13 story: the revelers' search for death

comment wall