storybook topic research: cambodian folktales

Reading over the comments on possible Storybook topics I chose, I decided to narrow it down to Khmer folktales of the country of Cambodia. There hasn't been a project done over this topic and I think it would be fun to read and retell stories and learn more about this aspect of my culture. 

Aerial view of Angkor Wat in Cambodia, which is a temple complex that's also mentioned in Hindu mythology. Web Source.

One story I read involves a character called Judge Rabbit. This link https://savongschool.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/taditional-khmer-folk-tales-judge-rabbit/ will take you to the story I read, which is one of several Khmer folktales involving Judge Rabbit. He works to seek justice and truth, but he is also a smart trickster. I think it would be cool take inspiration from this folktale and recreate a story that is dramatized. Maybe I could have Judge Rabbit be a human.

Another folktale I enjoyed reading was called "The Magic Millstone." I didn't expect the ending, but I thought the story had a meaningful message. The story could be retold using the same concept, but in a different setting or with plot changes. 

Lastly, I included this Cambodian legend about Moni Mekhala and Ream Eyso in my topic brainstorm post and I think it would be fun to retell the story. It tells the story of a goddess and a giant who both study under a wise hermit. They end up competing for the hermit's magic ball. Long story short, the battle between the two characters is said to be the origin of thunder and lightning; therefore, bringing rain to Cambodia's lands, which is symbolic. I think the story could be drawn out more with details. I feel like it could have a Harry Potter or Avengers vibe to it. 

Artwork of typical Cambodian characters. Web Source.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the one where i write an introduction...

week 13 story: the revelers' search for death

comment wall